Monday, September 19, 2016

1,378 Pounds of Food

Hello!

Well, week five is officially over and we're on to our final week of the transfer! Where does the time go?!

Last week was cool! We found a family to teach! We started to a guy standing on the sidewalk downtown (he was holding a German Shepherd puppy, so that's how I got the conversation started, haha!) and he agreed that we could come teach him. When we went by on Saturday, he wasn't home, but his girlfriend was and she invited us in (man, totally surprised us)! They have two little kids who are both autistic, and we're so excited to start teaching them to help them see how the gospel can bless their lives. Amazing family!

On Wednesday, we went with one of our branch members, Sister Clark to visit her husband in a long-term care facility. He has dementia and he's in kind of the final stages. I brought a violin along and played some hymns for him. It was so nice to be able to do that again! I love playing music for people! 

Friday was wonderful! It was one of my favorite parts about the week. We went to zone council, and I received an answer to a question I've been taking to almost every meeting for the past several months. The two district leaders in our zone, Elder McDonald and Elder Beddes, gave an instruction about the four types of missionaries. The two that really stuck out to me were #3 and #4 missionaries. #3 missionaries are obedient, but they still desire to do what they want, not what the Lord wants (ex. being at home with their families). #4 missionaries are obedient, but they completely surrender their will to the Lord. These are the missionaries that come home completely changed by their missions. As we talked about it, I wondered how I can become a #4 missionary, because I do my best to be obedient, but I still want to be doing what I want to do. As I thought about it, the scripture from Helaman 3:35 came to my mind. "Nevertheless they did fast and pray oft, and did wax stronger and stronger in their humility, and firmer and firmer in the faith of Christ, unto the filling their souls with joy and consolation, yea, even to the purifying and the sanctification of their hearts, which sanctification cometh because of their yielding their hearts unto God." I cannot become a #4 missionary, until I learn how to start applying the Atonement to my life everyday! It was a neat learning experience with the Spirit!

After zone council, we came back and did a little bit of tracting and we started talking to a group of people sitting around a table. As we talked, we realized that they were very drunk! It was pretty awkward! They kept trying to get us to try a whiskey or a beer, and we just kept telling them, "no, we don't drink." We left and kept knocking doors, but every time they saw us, they'd yell, "come on! We know you want one!" We were like, "no! We really don't!" Haha, it's moments like these that I'm very grateful for the Word of Wisdom!

On Saturday, we did a branch service project and it was so cool. We collected donations for the local foodbank, and we had a wonderful turnout! By the end, we had received 1,378 pounds of food from the community! 

It turned out to be a great week! I still can't believe it's week six! I'll email you next week about transfer news! (Our guess is we're both staying for one more...)

Love ya!

Sister Dille


Brockville had a festival called Tall Ships where huge sail boats come in and you can go tour them.


Tall Ships Festival!

Haha, I found my twin, Sister Bingham, again!

Tried schawarma for the first time with the Smiths!

       Sunset while we were tracting in Yonge Mills
Tracting in Yonge Mills!

I found out that the organ in our chapel is not locked and I could've been playing it in sacrament meeting instead of the piano

 Branch service project!


No comments:

Post a Comment