Monday, February 29, 2016

It's Cold In Cobourg!

Hi Everyone!

Wow, it seems like it has been a really long time since I have emailed you guys! We all arrived safely in Canada last Monday. We were all exhausted by the time we finally got to the mission home! We had been awake since about 1:30 in the morning. On Tuesday, we had a brief orientation and then we met our new companions and headed off to our areas.
My companion's name is Sister Spiekerman and she's from Brigham City (one of my MTC companions was from Brigham City too!) I'm the third greenie she's trained, haha, so she pretty much has the system down. We're serving in a town called Cobourg (it's about the size of Ontario), but our area also covers another little city called Port Hope. Our ward is fairly small, but all of the people are really amazing and they do everything they can to help us. Our ward mission leader, Brother Davenport, is really nice and he's a lot of fun to work with.
We do a lot of tracting and contacting in our area, which has definitely been a learning experience. I'm getting better at talking to people, but I still have some work to do. 
It's very cold here right now (and everyone keeps telling me this is a mild winter). We actually have a big storm moving in tonight, so we're hoping it doesn't snow too much. I usually put on about four our five layers plus two pairs of socks before we go out, and somehow I still manage to get cold, so I'm going to have to toughen up a bit. :) 
The most important thing I learned this week is that we have to rely on the Savior. There have been some days this week where things didn't work out according to our plans and we had to figure out other ways to spend our time. During these times, I would often start to feel homesick and want to quit. Every time I had these feelings though, I just tried to think of the Savior and His own mission when He was on the earth. It's quite a humbling experience to think that He was doing the same things that I am out here doing, only His trials were so much greater than mine. He had no way to contact His family, His life was in danger, and He didn't get to go home when He was finished. Instead, He suffered for the sins of all people, even those who had mocked Him, rejected Him, and crucified Him. I have learned that we are truly doing His work and that this is the time when we need to get to work and remember that we are representing Him as we try to help bring the blessings of the gospel into the lives of other people.
I hope you are all having a great week! I love you guys!

Love, 
Sister Dille



No comments:

Post a Comment