Monday, July 31, 2017

Being Tone-Deaf or Off-Key.....

Hey Guys! I hope you all had a good week! 

I don't have too many experiences to share from this week, mostly just stuff I've been learning.

As I did My Plan today, two quotes really stood out to me that I wanted to share.

1. “As I look back on my life following my mission, I realize that there were periods when I was able to maintain the same closeness to the Lord that I experienced in the mission field. There were also periods when the world seemed to creep in and I was less consistent and faithful with my prayers. … If the world has diverted us from the practice of prayer, we then have lost great spiritual power” Elder Perry

2. “Clearly, a dividing line between those who hear the music of faith and those who are tone-deaf or off-key is the active study of the scriptures. I was deeply touched years ago that a beloved prophet, Spencer W. Kimball, emphasized the need to continually read and study the scriptures. He said: ‘I find that when I get casual in my relationships with divinity and when it seems that no divine ear is listening and no divine voice is speaking, that I am far, far away. If I immerse myself in the scriptures the distance narrows and the spirituality returns" Elder Cook

I can testify that these quotes are true! As we immerse ourselves in the scriptures and commit ourselves to sincere, faithful prayer, it makes a huge difference in our lives!

I have a renewed love for the Book of Mormon. I've been studying one chapter everyday for the past week, and it's been such a revelatory experience for me. I've been learning so many wonderful principles that I've never noticed before. I wanted to share what I learned with you as I studied in 1 Nephi 3. It talked about two different responses to our trials... 1. Nephi-faithful and never murmured. 2. Laman and Lemuel- unfaithful, disobedient, and always murmuring. It was interesting to compare their two responses to adversity as I read. Because Laman and Lemuel were murmuring and lacked faith, they weren't able to accomplish the commandment the Lord had given them to go get the plates. Nephi however, was obedient and never murmured (which is a sign of deep faith). Because of Nephi's attitude during their trial, the Lord was able to use him as an instrument in His hands. It's the same for us! =)

My testimony of prayer was strengthened this week. We went on exchanges this week with our Churchville YSA sisters. I was with Sister Wehrli, and she's so awesome! (She actually went to Weber State...I knew there was something I liked about her!) She's only been in the field for 12 days, so I wanted to set a really good example of opening our mouths to talk with everyone, but I was pretty nervous. I had a silent prayer in my heart the whole exchange that God would give me the strength and courage to open my mouth and talk with everyone He put in our path...and He did. It really strengthened my testimony that he listens to our prayers.

I love you all!
 
Sister Dille
 











 

No comments:

Post a Comment